Wine tasting may not be at the forefront of your mind when planning a trip to the Northern Neck of Virginia, but it should be! Several delicious Virginia wineries are found on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail, not least of which is our incredible micro-vineyard, The Dog & Oyster. Though the Dog & Oyster Vineyard used to be located on a separate property, we decided in late 2020 to reposition to the front lawn of our Virginia Bed and Breakfast to focus on providing everyone a front row seat to the experience of drinking wine within a vineyard.
Virginia Tourism has hailed The Dog & Oyster as one of the “Ten Best of the Best” wineries in Virginia, and a visit to the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail puts this unique vineyard front and center. We have no doubt you’ll find the best wine right here at our micro-vineyard, but there are other wineries on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail worth visiting, and all are an easy drive from our Virginia Bed and Breakfast.
As wonderful as tasting locally-made wines is, it’s not the only reason to visit the Northern Neck of Virginia. Our luxurious Bed and Breakfast, located in the “tiny but Tony town” (New York Times) of Irvington, VA, is an enchanting place to relax & unwind. We offer you unparalleled luxury, gorgeous grounds, and exceptional hospitality. Book your room at our Virginia Bed and Breakfast today!
Discover the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail in Virginia
The Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail meanders along the Northern Neck, which is the northernmost peninsula that juts out into the stunning Chesapeake Bay. It is home to some exceptional varieties of wine. There are 9 Virginia wineries and one cidery on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail, all of which produce wines that pair exquisitely with the fresh and delicious seafood you’ll enjoy here. Four of them, including our own, are located right here on the eastern tip of the Northern Neck of Virginia.
We’ve already mentioned the exquisite wines being produced at our local micro-vineyard, The Dog & Oyster, rated as one of the best Virginia wineries on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail. We have planted the Petit Manseng variety, which pairs exceptionally well with the oysters served at our accompanying Oyster Bar. Enjoying a flight with soon-to-be oysters at our micro-vineyard gives visitors an upscale setting to sit back, relax, and enjoy the finer parts of life on The Chesapeake Bay. Talk about the perfect pairing!
As wonderful as the experience at The Dog & Oyster is, it’s not the only excellent wine experience available on the Northern Neck of Virginia. There are three other wineries just a short drive away, and even more as you head north towards Washington D.C.
Virginia Wineries Within 20 Minutes
- Good Luck Cellars, which is also located just 10 minutes away, features a delicious range of estate-grown and hand-crafted wines. They offer a range of flight tastings in addition to wines by the glass and bottle. This dog-friendly winery provides both indoor and outdoor tastings, in addition to having a food truck and live music onsite. They grow twelve different grape varietals, including Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Norton, Petit Verdot, and Viognier.
- Jacey Vineyards, also located on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail, is located in the nearby small town of Wicomico Church, Virginia. You can arrive by land or boat at this beautiful Virginia winery, where you’ll enjoy waterfront views and lush vines while sipping your way through their delightful collection.
- Though not strictly a winery, we’d be remiss not to mention Ditchey Cider Works & Farm. This historic farm produces great ciders and is situated on a historic piece of property with views of the Chesapeake Bay.
Virginia Wineries Within an Hour
- General’s Ridge Winery is located further up the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail, but it’s more than worth the drive. This winery is nestled in the quaint countryside of Virginia’s historic Westmoreland County, and on their 30-acre vineyard, grow several varietals, including Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Petit Manseng, Petit Verdot, and. They offer a tasting room with flights and wines by the glass, and a bistro will small plates to complement the experience.
- Rivah Vineyards at the Grove is in the same area. Their vineyard is situated on the beautiful Yeocomico River and offers a range of delicious and locally crafted wines and food. They produce many varietals, including Cayuga White, Petit Manseng, Chardonel, Cab Franc, Chambourcin, Gruner Veltliner, Merlot, and others.
- Ingleside Vineyards is a Virginia winery not to be missed on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail. It’s one of the oldest and largest Virginia wineries, and they produce nearly 20 different varieties of wine. They were awarded one Gold and six Silver Medals at the 2022 Governor’s Cup.
A Taste of Luxury at our Virginia Bed and Breakfast
There’s something special about the Northern Neck of Virginia in the spring, and it extends far beyond what you’ll taste on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail. The promise of a wonderful season of growth lies ahead at the top Virginia wineries, and the delights of summer on the Chesapeake Bay feel closer than ever. Getaways to this part of Virginia truly offer visitors a feast for the senses. That is especially true when you join us at our #1-rated Virginia Bed and Breakfast on the Northern Neck of Virginia.
The opportunity to stay with us at Hope and Glory Inn is a rare treat indeed and one you should experience at least once in your lifetime. We pride ourselves on offering a relaxing getaway to our guests, complete with luxurious accommodations, exceptional amenities, and the finest dining around at our onsite restaurant, The Colonnade.
You’ll want for nothing during your time at our Virginia Bed and Breakfast. Treat yourself to a taste of luxury, and book your room with us today!